Towers 1, 2, and 3
Built in 1971, Towers 1, 2, and 3 are a landmark feature of the Columbia University Irving Medical Center skyline, rising 30 stories above the rocky cliffs over the Hudson River. Tower 1 conveniently connects to 50 Haven Ave., which houses CUIMC's athletic center and the ballroom where the student meal plan is served. Towers 2 and 3 share a courtyard with the Vagelos Education Center, a verdant area with stunning views of the river, the George Washington Bridge, and the Palisades.
The Towers provide spacious two- and three-person suites for single students and junior one-bedrooms and one-bedroom apartments for couples. New students can join the Towers community by Applying for On-Campus Housing, and current students through the Room Change Process.
- Average bedroom size: 9'x12'
- Full kitchen in each apartment
- Full bathroom in each apartment
- Furnished rooms include:
- Extra-long twin bed*
- Desk with chair
- Hutch for desk
* Upon special request, the bed is the only item that can be removed.
- Common areas are lit; residents must provide lighting for their bedrooms.
- Window blinds or shades
- For unfurnished units, CUIMC partners with a third party vendor to provide a convenient furniture rental option. Choose the furniture you want for your apartment and have it delivered and set up before you even arrive. We even rent kitchen supplies, linens, TVs and appliances. See how it works.
- Elevator service
- Laundry: Card-operated washers and dryers
- Tower 1 offers laundry services on the sixth, eighth, 10th, and 12th floors, and on every floor from the 14th through 31st floors.
- Towers 2 and 3 have washing machines on even floors and dryers in select areas as well.
- 24-hour security
- Mail and Packages : Residents may pick up their packages and mail at the centralized mailroom and package center, 1st Floor of Tower 1.
For new students, your Occupancy Agreement begins on your move-in day and continues to May 31 of the following year. During the renewal process (which happens during the spring semester), you will sign a 12-month Occupancy Agreement that begins June 1 and continues to May 31 the following year. You will be responsible for the rent during the entire 12-month period, including the summer. If you choose not to renew, you must re-apply for housing and we will assign you after we assign all other students (new and current). 50 Haven is the only building that offers 10-month occupancy, allowing students to move out during the summer period.
2023-24 Average Monthly Rental/Person with the exception of couples housing
- Studio Apartment: $2,159
- 2-Bedroom Apartment: $1,205-$1,356
- 3-Bedroom Apartment: $1,078-$1,340
- Couples Jr. 1-Bedroom Apartment: $2,292
- Couples 1-Bedroom Apartment: $2,418-$2,704
Student Financial Services, in conjunction with the Office of Housing Services, handles your housing billing. Housing charges are billed monthly to your student account. The occupancy agreement you signed is a legally binding document that outlines the terms and conditions for your term period, and in most cases, corresponds to your school’s or program’s academic calendar.
Your monthly billing will begin on the day you pick up your keys from the Office of Housing Services. Housing rates are subject to an increase each year, beginning each June.
What to Expect:
- The monthly housing charge will appear on the student account in the prior month. Payment for each month is due on the date listed on the bill where the housing charge appears.
- When a new student account statement is released and ready to view and/or pay online, you will receive an email via your Columbia University email account. The University does not mail paper bills.
- Review the SFS billing schedule for more information about statements and due dates.
- Rent for the first month is pro-rated based on the move-in date.
- Sample Jr. 1 Bedroom Floor Plan
- Jr. 1-Bedroom Virtual Tour
- Sample 1-Bedroom or 2-Person Share Floor Plan
Smoking is prohibited on all CUIMC property, both indoors and outdoors. This policy extends to all CUIMC residential facilities, including all apartments; public spaces such as lobbies, hallways, and stairwells; building entrances; adjacent courtyards; garages; and rooftops.
If you or anyone in your apartment is found smoking, everyone who lives in the apartment will receive a $250 fine for each occurrence. Learn more at Smoke-Free at CUIMC.
- Included in rent: The buildings are centrally air conditioned and heated. Hot and cold water, electricity, heat, and air conditioning are included in rental rate. Wireless internet is provided by CUIMC IT.
- Not included: Phone and cable (optional)
- Building Superintendent