Columbia University Irving Medical Center provides equal access for students, staff, visitors, and patients traveling to and around our campus.
Below, you can learn more about campus initiatives and recent improvements led by CUIMC Facilies Management and Campus Services and NewYork-Presbyterian.
For additional information, visit Disability Services.
The Disability Access and Accommodations Committee works to increase accessibility on campus. In addition to overseeing efforts to remove physical barriers, the committee promotes equality and diversity, education on legal and other requirements, and the integration of accessibility into business practices.
- The recently completed Knowledge Center Expansion is compliant with ADA guidelines regarding design elements, space requirements, furnishings, and lighting.
- The front entrance of the Russ Berrie Medical Science Pavilion was recently updated. The door's threshold height was leveled and adjusted to meet ADA requirements and repairs were made to the automated door.
- As part of the Towers Modernization Project, all the Towers now feature ADA-compliant smoke and CO detectors.
Accessible Transportation Options
Columbia University provides a network of shuttle buses connecting its campuses. Shuttle service is available free of charge to all University affiliates with valid University ID. All shuttles are wheelchair accessible.
There are wheelchair lifts on campus that are exclusively designated for disability access. Prior authorization is required to use these lifts. Students should contact Disability Services, faculty and staff should contact HR Disability Benefits, and visitors should contact Public Safety for authorization.
Frequently Asked Questions
Review our campus map and list of building address, accessible interbuilding connections, and access to venues.
See our venues list for information about accessible entrances.
Yes. Learn more about disability accommodations in housing..
If you have a need resulting from a permanent or temporary medical condition, the CUHR Leave Management Office can assist. Review how to request a workplace accommodation.
Campus access tours are available upon request from Disability Services. These tours will be designed to meet your specific access needs. If you need to schedule an access tour and have specific questions about accessibility at CUIMC, contact Disability Services or Public Safety. If you need accommodations for a University event or activity, contact the host program.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your message will be reviewed by CUIMC representatives of disability access and accommodations.
- Public Safety
William Black Building, Room 109
- Office of Disability Services (for CUIMC Students)
105, 50 Haven Ave.
- Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
103 Low Library
535 116th Street
New York, NY 10027
- HR Benefits (for employees)
622 West 132nd Street, 4th Floor
New York , NY 10027