Frequently Asked Questions

What type of compliance issues can I report to Campus Life Safety and Regulatory Compliance?

Contact us regarding any safety or regulatory compliance issues related to a CUIMC facility or Facilities staff member.

Where should other compliance issues be reported?

  • HIPAA compliance: HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, sets the standard for protecting sensitive patient data. The many departments at CUIMC that handle protected health information must ensure that all physical, network, and process security measures required by law are in place and followed. Learn about HIPAA at CUIMC.
  • University compliance: Columbia University expects the highest standards of ethical conduct from the members of its community. We maintain a 24/7 anonymous hotline for concerns stemming from possible non-compliance with federal, state, or local laws or regulations or University policies. For example, reports may be related to fraud and financial improprieties, research misconduct, discrimination or harassment, and conflicts of interest. Learn more about the University Compliance hotline.
  • Research compliance: The Office of Research Compliance and Training helps ensure that CUIMC's faculty and staff are in compliance with regulatory requirements that govern research. Learn more about research compliance.

To whom do I report a construction and renovation project concern?

Contact Capital Project Management or call the Campus Life Safety and Regulatory Compliance to report a project concern, such as unacceptable contractor practices or behaviors.

Where can I learn about the hazards in the CUIMC facility where I work?

Will someone from Campus Life Safety and Regulatory Compliance inspect my work area if I am concerned?

Yes. A manager is available to assist any department with concerns about regulations compliance.

What will happen to me if I report an issue of noncompliance?

We rely on you to speak up. When you do, you provide the information needed to investigate and remedy a damaging or dangerous situation. Columbia University does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report concerns in good faith.

Is Campus Life Safety and Regulatory Compliance the right office to contact if I notice a life safety device (exit sign, fire extinguisher, fire door) is broken, out of order, or missing?

The fastest way to report a deficient life safety device is to call 212-305-HELP (4357), option 3. Report the type of device and exact location.