50 Haven Ave.
50 Haven Ave. is the perfect place to make connections and find your rhythm at Columbia University Irving Medical Center.
This 11-story building features dormitory-style rooms with communal bathrooms, a green courtyard with benches, and a terrace with extraordinary views of the Hudson River and George Washington Bridge. Residents can easily take advantage of the athletic facility downstairs, various student lounges, and the student meal plan served in the ballroom. 50 Haven Ave. is minutes from classrooms, the library, and the campus bookstore.
- Average room size: 10'x12'
- Extra-long twin bed 2nd - 7th floor; mattress size: 35” X 78
- Full-size bed 8th-11th floor.
- Desk with overhead hutch and desk chair
- Five-drawer dresser
- Most rooms: pedestal sink, medicine cabinet, and towel bar
- Window air conditioner
- Central building radiator heating
- Overhead lighting
- Windows with shades/blinds
- Gender-specific floors: The fourth and ninth floors of 50 Haven Ave. are women only; the seventh floor is men only. All other floors and facilities are co-ed.
- Bathrooms: Communal toilets and showers on each floor
- Kitchen: One communal kitchen on the 11th floor equipped with stoves, refrigerators, sinks, microwaves, and a beverage vending machine
- Elevator service
- Laundry: Washers and dryers on the second floor.
- 24-hour security
- Mailboxes and package delivery: Packages can be picked up at the 50 Haven Ave. Mailroom, Room 109, open Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
- Student lounges: The Main Lounge on the first floor and the Hudson View Room are both available for students to study. The Hudson View Room is intended for quiet study. Students can also relax in the 11th floor lounge.
- Student meal plan: Meals are served in the 50 Haven Ave. Ballroom in the basement. See the Faculty Club for more information.
- Only the corridors, first floor, and basement levels contain fire suppression sprinklers.
- 50 Haven Ave Fire and Emergency Plan
50 Haven is the only residence where students have the option of a 10 month or 12 month occupancy agreement.
The 10-month occupancy agreement is popular for students that leave for the summer and want to return to on-campus housing without reapplying and jeopardizing their ability to get housing for the following fall semester. Students participating in a 10-month term must fully vacate their space by May 31 and can return to their fall space on a date of their choosing between August 1 and September 10. Students will be billed only for their time spent on-campus. This is only available to students of 50 Haven. Information will be sent to eligible students during the Occupancy Agreement renewal process, which occurs during the spring semester.
2022-23 Average Monthly Rental/Person
- Single Dormitory: $978-$1,041
Student Financial Services, in conjunction with the Office of Housing Services, handles your housing billing. Housing charges are billed monthly to your student account. The occupancy agreement you signed is a legally binding document that outlines the terms and conditions for your term period, and in most cases, corresponds to your school’s or program’s academic calendar.
Your monthly billing will begin on the day you pick up your keys from the Office of Housing Services. Housing rates are subject to an increase each year, beginning each June.
What to Expect:
- The monthly housing charge will appear on the student account in the prior month. Payment for each month is due on the date listed on the bill where the housing charge appears.
- When a new student account statement is released and ready to view and/or pay online, you will receive an email via your Columbia University email account. The University does not mail paper bills.
- Review the SFS billing schedule for more information about statements and due dates.
- Rent for the first month is pro-rated based on the move-in date.
The only microfridge unit allowed to use in your 50 Haven Hall room are units rented through the Office of Housing Services. There are 130 units available to be rented to students for a nominal rental fee of $275 for each academic year/contract period. Renting your microfridge from OHS eliminates you transporting/storing this large appliance between semesters or selling/discarding one after graduation. Your microfridge will be delivered to your room during your move-in day. Learn more about the microfridge specs and details before submitting your rental request.
Microfridge requests will be collected on the housing portal when you select your move-in appointment. Your student account will be charged the rental fee in September.
At the conclusion of the rental period, students are responsible for returning their microfridge unit clean and defrosted. There is a $50.00 cleaning charge for units not returned cleaned and a $500.00 damage charge for units that have been damaged or not working properly upon moving out.
Smoking is prohibited on all CUIMC property, both indoors and outdoors. This policy extends to all CUIMC residential facilities, including all apartments; public spaces such as lobbies, hallways, and stairwells; building entrances; adjacent courtyards; garages; and rooftops.
If you or anyone in your apartment is found smoking, everyone who lives in the apartment will receive a $250 fine for each occurrence. Learn more at Smoke-Free at CUIMC.
- Included in rent: Electricity, heat, hot and cold water. Wireless internet is provided by CUIMC IT.
- Not included: Phone and cable.
- Air conditioning: 50 Haven Ave. does not have central air. We provide a window air conditioner in each room.
- Building Superintendent