New Housing Students
Columbia University Irving Medical Center's on-campus accommodations are a practical and cost-effective way to live in Manhattan. All our residential buildings are located on campus, within easy walking distance of academic buildings, labs, the library, 50 Haven Ave. Athletic Center, and public transportation.
To apply for housing, you must be enrolled full-time at Columbia University Irving Medical Center in one of the following schools or programs:
- Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons (VP&S)
- College of Dental Medicine (CDM)
- Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS- CUIMC Only)
- School of Nursing (SON)
- Mailman School of Public Health (MSPH)
- Programs in Human Nutrition (IHN), Physical Therapy (PHYT), Occupational Therapy (OCCT), or Genetic Counseling (GC)
If you are not eligible for on-campus housing or prefer to live off-campus, you can search for apartments, rooms, and roommates on Columbia University’s Off-Campus Housing Assistance website (managed by the Morningside campus).
Our housing assignment notifications vary by school and program start date. Refer to the information below to determine your appropriate application timeline. We will not consider any applications submitted outside of their appropriate application timelines.
The housing application process is divided in two phases:
- Phase 1: Application
- Phase 2: Placement
- Phase 1: If you'll be enrolled full time in a CUIMC school or program starting in the Summer or Fall, apply for on-campus housing beginning February 1, 2023. All new housing application will incur a $30 non-refundable application fee. The priority deadline for new students to apply is May 1, 2023. School of Nursing Masters Direct Entry and select College of Dental Medicine (Endodontics, Orthodontics, Periodontics, Prosthodontics, or Advanced Education in General Dentistry Certificate) needing to move in early should apply by April 1, 2023.
- Phase 2: During Phase 2, all students will self-select their apartment and/or bedroom using the CUIMC Housing Portal. During selection, students will be able to see room details, such as floor plans, current occupants, current rates, and other amenities. Lastly, students will e-sign their paperwork and pay the $500 housing commitment fee.
New housing students will be able to select their housing unit during the following dates:
- April 10-April 14: Selection Time for Incoming Masters Direct Entry Nursing Students (MDE) and Incoming Dental Graduates (group 1).
- April 17-April 21: Selection Time for Students Currently Enrolled at CUIMC (Spring 2023 semester), but not living on-campus (group 2).
- May 8 – May 10: Priority Selection Time for Guaranteed Programs (VP&S, GSAS, Genetic Counseling, Vassar 4+1) complete agreements and paperwork (Group 3).
- May 11-May 19: Selection time for all remaining applicants. To ensure fairness, housing is not first-come, first-served. We provide priority self-selection times to those furthest from campus first (group 4).
It is important to be mindful of the phase 2 selection windows so that you don’t miss the opportunity to find the right space for you. Priority will be calculated by distance from campus as detailed below.
If you'll be enrolled full time in a CUIMC school or program beginning in the spring, apply for on-campus housing starting September 13, 2023. Our team will send out housing placement information via email starting in early November.
Students can expect to move-in as early as January 1 and no later than January 16.
Whether you are single or planning to live with a spouse or domestic partner, we have housing options that will suit your needs. We also provide disability housing accommodations for eligible students. All single VP&S (MD, MD-PhD and Genetic Counseling only) and single GSAS applicants are guaranteed housing.
To ensure fairness, housing is not first-come, first-served. An applicant invitation to live on-campus is based on home address, according to the following priority scale:
- International applicants
- Applicants within the United States coming from farthest west, then moving eastward
- Applicants from the tristate area (New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut)
If invited to live on-campus, you will be provided a randomly generated selection time. Most students will have the opportunity to self-select their apartment/room.
Due to limited room availability, you may be placed on a wait list based on the date we receive your application and your distance from campus. We will notify all students regarding the status of their application. If you have been placed on the waitlist, we will contact you if an accommodation becomes available.
We can't guarantee that you will be offered an accommodation that satisfies your first preference.
How to Apply
You will receive an email inviting you to apply for housing from email@example.com once you have been added to the housing portal. If you are a new admitted student, the email will be sent out once your school or program has processed your admission and provided us with your information.
To apply, log-on to the CUIMC Housing Portal and select "Application & Placement" in the menu bar. You will be asked to provide some demographic information, your program, and your desired move-in date.
The application fee is non-refundable. Students who wish to cancel their housing assignment prior to moving-in must notify the Office of Housing Service via email. The commitment fee is 50 % refundable through July 1, 2023. After July 1, the commitment fee is forfeited.
The cancellation fee is $1,750 and has the following deadlines to cancel:
For new fall 2023 students, July 15, 2023 is the last day to cancel without additional penalty.
For new spring 2024 students, December 15, 2023 is the last day to cancel without additional penalty.
For current/continuing students, May 1, 2023 is the last day to cancel without additional penalty.