Like moving in, moving out of your accommodations can be a stressful process. Review the information below to help make your it as easy as possible. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-305-4357, option 2 if you have any questions.
Moving out at Graduation
- You must move out by the last day of the month in which you graduate.
- Information will be sent via email approximately 30-days prior to your anticipated graduation date.
- Once informed, you will sign-up for a move-out appointment and learn about the process by clicking "Move-out" on the housing portal.
On-Campus VP&S Students Matched with CUIMC/NYP
If you are continuing at CUIMC as a medical resident of Columbia University Irving Medical Center/New York-Presbyterian, you can apply to continue living on campus for an additional year. Depending on your current assignment, you may be required to move to a single occupant unit (i.e. studio or 1-bedroom apartment) as matched residents are not eligible for student shared spaces (i.e. 2-person shared apartment, 3-person shared apartment, etc).
All residents must be in compliance with the terms and conditions of the occupancy agreement. You must notify the Office of Housing Service via email once you have been confirmed as a matched resident
On-Campus Students Transitioning to a CUIMC Post Doc Fellowship
Students offered a Post Doc Fellowship with Columbia University Irving Medical Center who are already living in housing may be eligible to stay in their same apartment for one additional year if currently residing in a single-occupant unit (i.e. studio, 1-bedroom apartment, etc). If you are not residing in a single-occupant unit, you will be required to move to a single-occupant unit for your one-year extension.
If you need housing for more than a year, you will be required to move to 390 Fort Washington or secure off-campus housing. 390 Fort Washington is housing exclusively for post doc fellows.
All residents must be in compliance with the terms and conditions of the occupancy agreement. You must notify the Office of Housing Services via email once you have been offered a Post Doc Fellowship.
Dental Students continuing as Dental Grads
Students continuing studies in Endodontics, Orthodontics, Periodontics, or Prosthodontics are considred full-time students and thereby eligible to live on-campus.
Advanced Education in General Dentistry Certificate students may require proof of enrollment as a full-time student from the Director of the program.
Moving Out at Any Other Time
All students and residents who intend to vacate their room or apartment at any other time must complete an "Occupancy Agreement Cancellation Request" at least 30 days before moving out. You can access this form by clicking "Move-out" on the housing portal.
Postdoctoral Research Fellows and Scientists
Postdocs residing at 390 Fort Washington Ave must complete a Notice of Vacancy at least 30 days before moving out.
- Remove all personal belongings from your unit. Any items left behind will be discarded and a fee will be applied to your account.
- For furnished units: Return furniture to original locations.
For unfurnished Units: Remove all personal belongings, including furniture.
- Leave unit clean:
- Empty refrigerator and cabinets.
- Remove all trash.
- Sweep all floors.
- 50 Haven Rooms with a Microfridge: Students are responsible for returning their microfridge unit clean and defrosted. There is a $50.00 cleaning charge for units not returned cleaned and a $500.00 damage charge for units that have been damaged or not working properly upon moving out.
- Make sure you cancel any services in your name, such as telephone and cable TV.
- Return your keys at the Tower 1 (60 Haven Ave.) front desk area. You will need to fill out a key return envelope, place keys in the envelope and then drop it in the Key Drop-Box. This can be done at any time.
- Vacate by the last day of your occupancy agreement or incur penalties.
A charge may be applied to your account if the above conditions are not met.
When moving out, you can borrow a hand-truck or dolly from the door attendants in Towers 1, 2, and 3. You must provide a CUIMC ID. While door attendants in other buildings cannot offer this resource, residents of other buildings are welcome to request a hand-truck or dolly at Towers 1, 2, and 3.
When using a moving company to move out of CUIMC housing, you must provide the following to the Office of Housing Services:
- Copy of a certificate of insurance from an admitted insurance company. Admitted means filed with and subject to the laws and regulation of the state the company is admitted in. See an example.
- Confirmation of auto and general liability coverage with minimum liability limits of $2 million
- Confirmation of worker’s compensation coverage
- The certificate of insurance should also name the Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York as an additional insured.
Send a copy of the certificate of insurance to email@example.com at least two business days before your move-out date.
You are responsible for leaving the building and its premises in broom-clean condition and for removing boxes and other trash generated in the move.
Storage Containers (U-Haul pod, U-Pack, PODS) are not allowed on-campus.
After you move out, your bedroom will be inspected for damages. You do not have to be present for the inspection. The cost of repairing any damages beyond normal wear and tear, or replacing any missing appliances or furniture, will be charged to your University SSOL account.
Remember to update your address with all your service providers, such as your bank and Amazon.com, before you move out. A change of address must be filed with the U.S. Postal Service to ensure your mail will be forwarded. All mail will be returned to sender once you move out.
CUIMC does not provide storage. The storage companies listed below are recommended by the Morningside Campus:
- Manhattan Mini Storage
- Hudson Moving & Storage
- Tuck-it-Away Self Storage
- Morgan & Brother Manhattan Storage Co.
The Office of Housing Services is not affiliated with any of these companies and is providing this information solely for your convenience.