How to Use the Podium
Use these instructions to guide you through how to use the Crestron touch panel on top of the podium to control any connected audio/video source. Anything other than inserting and removing media such as discs and memory sticks must be done from the touch panel’s display.
How to Use the Touch Panel
- If the touch panel screen is blank, it is in sleep mode. Simply press anywhere on the touch panel screen with your finger to wake it up.
- If the projector in the room is in sleep mode, you will see a Projector is Warming Up message on the touch panel. A 30-second timer count down will also appear to show when the projector is ready, please wait for this to complete.
- The projector will project an image on the classroom's screen, and a main control screen will appear on the touch panel itself:
- On the left side of the touch panel, select the source you would like to use:
- PC (Podium Computer). This option will let you use the computer in the podium. This is also the source for DVD/CD playback or USB key files. Simply insert your disc or connect your USB key to the computer.
- Laptop. Select this option to connect your own laptop to the room's projector and sound system using cables on the podium.
- Combine Rooms. This option is only available in A/B classrooms that can be reserved to use both sides. The button will be in the lower left of the touch panel display. Press it to power on both sides of the room and project from the same podium/audio visual equipment.
- After selecting your source, you can use the icons displayed in the right of the touch panel for additional projection, sound, and power control:
- Volume. These speaker icons increase and decrease projector audio, with the speaker bar showing the current volume.
- Mute. Use this to cut sound. To unmute, press this icon again or press the "volume up" icon to restore sound.
- Blank Display. This icon hides the projector image from displaying on the screen.
- OFF. When you have finished, please select OFF on the touch panel display and then, when prompted, POWER OFF to power down the podium equipment.
- Always power down A/V equipment using the touch panel when you are finished with the room.
- Please do not remove the touch panel from the top of the podium; this can disconnect or damage the cables.
- Please do not manually adjust equipment in the cabinet, which can cause problems or stop it from functioning altogether.
- Critical podium cables are standard HDMI and VGA only. If your laptop does not have standard ports, you must bring your own adapter.
How to Use the Podium Computer (a.k.a. PC)
Select the PC button at the left of the touch panel display to use the computer located in the podium cabinet. The computer’s screen will display on both the monitor sitting on top of the podium and on the classroom projector.
The keyboard and mouse are on a sliding shelf in the top of the cabinet.
To use a USB key, connect it to a USB input on the side of the podium computer. Follow any prompts that appear on the computer screen to access files that are on the USB key.
For DVD/CD playback, please insert your disc in the computer and select PC. The DVD/CD program on the podium computer can be used to control playback and other options.
When restarted, podium computers delete files saved to them. Store any files you would like to keep on a USB key or other media, saving as you go if you make changes. This prevents loss of new information if the computer is restarted for any reason.
How to Connect a Laptop
- Power outlets are under the lid on top of the podium. Please do not use the network ports in this compartment; they are not active.
- Connect either the HDMI or VGA and Audio cables to the laptop.
- HDMI. This cable allows both video and sound; do not plug in the Audio cable when using HDMI.
- VGA and Audio. Plug the VGA cable on the podium into your laptop's VGA port and the Audio cable into its audio port, which is usually marked by an icon resembling a pair of headphones. If the laptop doesn't automatically display after connecting it to the cables and selecting Laptop on the touch panel, please do the following:
- Windows laptops: On the laptop's keyboard, press the blue function key (Fn) in combination with one of the numbered function keys (CRT/LDC) to have it detect the projector. The numbered function key varies by laptop make/model.
- Apple laptops: Open System Preferences (from the Apple menu), then select Displays, and then Detect Monitor. Once the projector is detected, the laptop’s screen will project.
Important: Macs may require an additional DVI to VGA adapter to connect, they are not provided on the podium.
- Use the connected laptop as desired. Volume can be controlled on both the touch panel and your laptop.
When using a connected laptop, please use the one of the campus wireless networks if you need to use the Internet.