Parking FAQ and Policies
Frequently Asked Questions
Full-time Columbia University employees who reside outside Manhattan are eligible to apply for University commuter parking. Learn how to apply for parking .
No, we don't maintain a waitlist due to the high demand for and limited supply of parking at CUIMC.
We only offer a full-time parking option. See detailed rates. Those working second or third shift are eligible for a discounted rate with limited access to the 100 Haven Ave. garage.
We operate the following parking facilities. View them on our campus map.
- 100 Haven Ave.
Haven Ave. at 171st St.
Staffed 24 hours, seven days a week
- Irving Cancer Research Center
1130 St. Nicholas Ave. (between St. Nicholas and Audubon Aves. at 167th Street)
Staffed Monday–Friday: 6 a.m.–midnight; Saturday and Sunday, 6 a.m.–6 p.m.
- School of Nursing/Russ Berrie Medical Science Pavilion
560 West 168th St., entrance on 167th St.
Staffed Monday–Friday: 7 a.m.–11 p.m.
Yes. Learn about other parking options at CUIMC and driving alternatives.
If you're a NewYork-Presbyterian employee, contact the NYP Parking Office at 212-305-4903.
Patients and visitors can use the hospital's parking garage at 115 Fort Washington Ave. between 164th and 165th Streets. Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, the garage accepts payment by cash and debit and credit cards. For more information, call the NYP Parking Office at 212-305-4903 or visit the NewYork-Presbyterian Parking webpage.
I'm hosting an on-campus event and require parking for my guests. How do I obtain guest parking and how much does it cost?
Guest parking is not guaranteed due to the high demand for and limited supply of parking at CUIMC. To make a request for your guests and review the rates, learn how to request guest parking.
If you are approved for parking, the following policies apply:
- Parking is limited to the parker and vehicle of record only. No subleasing or sharing of parking space is permitted.
- You will be issued a parking sticker and an access card. Place the sticker on the back of your vehicle's rear-view mirror.
- If you terminate your affiliation with Columbia University, you will no longer be eligible for parking and must relinquish your parking by the end of the month.
- Only one car per driver will be allowed in a CUIMC parking facility on any given day. If you use more than one car, you must state so on your initial parking application. You will be required to present proof of a valid, current vehicle registration issued in your name or in your spouse or domestic partner's name, as recognized by Human Resources.
- If you change or add a new car, you will need to register it with CUIMC Parking by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the additional vehicle is registered, you will receive a new sticker. Non-registered vehicles are subject to being booted.
- Send any address changes or other updates to email@example.com. Parking assignments are subject to reevaluation when there is a change of address.
- You may not suspend or place your parking on hold unless you are taking a sabbatical or long-term medical leave.
- SP Plus provides insurance for individual car owners if your car is damaged or theft occurs while it is parked in a CUIMC-managed parking facility. SP Plus and Columbia University do not assume responsibility for removable radios and other equipment and personal items left in cars. You must leave your keys with the parking attendant in order for SP Plus to assume responsibility for your car. Self-parked cars are not the responsibility of SP Plus or the University. Report any damage claims to the attendant or manager on duty before your car leaves the lot.
- The University reserves the right to refuse admittance to the parking lot or to boot any car that is not the car of record or is a parker's second car if your primary car of record is also parked in the lot. There is a $200 cash fee to remove the boot.
- The University reserves the right to refuse admittance to the lots to anyone who does not possess a parking permit on the reverse side of their rearview mirror or possess a valid access card.
- If you want to cancel your parking account, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Cancellations will be processed upon receipt of your request, parking sticker, and access card. You are liable for parking charges until CUIMC Parking receives written notification of cancellation.
- Due to ongoing construction and the limited supply of on-site parking at CUIMC, voucher and guest parking at CUIMC-managed parking facilities has been temporarily suspended. For alternative guest parking options, including a list of privately-owned commercial lots see Transportation Options.
- Due to severe space restrictions, you will lose your parking privileges if you falsify your application, allow others to use your access card, park more that one vehicle in the lot at a time, or use your space for long-term vehicle storage.
- If you lose your access card, a replacement can be purchased for $20.