Moving Services

For a detailed checklist for moving offices or labs, visit our moving guide.

Moving Furniture

We regularly support departments in their cross-campus and inter-campus moves by providing furniture moving services. However, our team cannot move sensitive equipment such as research equipment or any large, heavy equipment between buildings. Departments should make other arrangements for moving this type of equipment.

We will not unplug any computers from wall outlets, but we do move computer equipment if it is properly unplugged and packed.

We can also supply packing materials upon request.


A fee for disassembling or moving furniture will be charged based on an hourly rate. We also charge for packing materials.

External Movers and Exclusive Elevator Use

If you choose to use a commercial mover, you must let us know so we can arrange exclusive elevator service. We will require a certificate of insurance if you use an outside vendor.

Please submit a work order with your insurance documentation (or email such documentation to, referencing your work order number) at least two weeks before your scheduled move so we can make the appropriate arrangements.

The insurance documentation should include:

  1. Copy of a certificate of insurance from an admitted insurance company (admitted means filed with and subject to the laws and regulation of the state they are admitted in)
  2. Confirmation of auto and general liability coverage with minimum liability limits of $2 million
  3. Confirmation of worker’s compensation coverage
  4. The certificate of insurance should also name the Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York as an additional insured.


A fee will be charged for exclusive elevator use. To secure an elevator, submit a work order as soon as possible before your move.

Related Services