VP&S Bldg.: Temporary Electrical Shutdown, Aug. 11
Due to emergency repairs, a temporary electrical shutdown affecting normal power in the Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons Building will take place from 7 p.m. to approximately 11 p.m. on Thursday, August 11. Emergency power outlets will not be affected and will continue to operate normally during the shutdown. This temporary electrical shutdown also will not affect fume hoods.
Please be advised, the following services will be unavailable throughout the building during the temporary shutdown:
- Normal power outlets
- Overhead lighting
- VP&S Elevators (William Black Building elevators should be used during the shutdown)
In preparation for the upcoming shutdown, please take the following precautionary steps before you leave on Thursday, August 11:
- Save all files and important documents.
- Completely turn off all computers and laptops.
- Turn off all other electronic devices and non-essential laboratory equipment.
- Ensure that all essential equipment is connected to emergency power (red) outlets. If you are unsure if your equipment is plugged into an emergency power outlet, please contact CUIMC Facilities Management at firstname.lastname@example.org, and a representatives from Facilities Engineering will visit and assess your area.
- Tightly seal all containers in fume hoods or remove and safely store them elsewhere in the lab.
- Shut off all gas valves servicing the fume hoods.
- We highly recommend that all freezers, refrigerators, and environmental room doors be kept closed and access prohibited during this shutdown period. Typically, this equipment will maintain temperature as long as the doors are kept closed.
For issues in laboratories during the temporary shutdown, please call Public Safety at 305-8100 and a mechanic will be dispatched to address the issue. For general questions or concerns, please contact Facilities Management at 212-305-HELP, option 3.